Vegan lentil dahl recipe
So delicious and healthy, this vegan lentil dahl (or dal) recipe is an Indian dish made of lentils. Our chef at Le Restaurant du Monastère Jean-Mathieu Leclerc concocted this wonderful recipe you can put together in a flash!
Did you know that lentils are a plentiful source of nutrients? They are rich in fiber, protein and antioxidants? What’s more: they are affordable and easy to make at home.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 large pieces of fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 litre of green lentils
- 2 litres of vegetable broth
- 400 ml of coconut milk (1 can)
- 200 ml of coconut cream (1 can)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Dried spices: curry, turmeric, cumin and ginger (to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- Suggested toppings (to taste): toasted coconut shavings, toasted sliced almonds, fresh coriander, mustard microgreens to spice things up, or corn or red cabbage for a sweeter taste.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in some oil, over medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth.
- Cook over medium heat, making sure that you don’t overcook the lentils (read the package for instructions as the lentils can cook very quickly).
- Season with your choice of dried spices (note that some dahls can be spicier than others).
- Add the coconut milk and cream to make your dahl creamier.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread over cooked jasmine or basmati rice.
- Add your favourite toppings.
Serve and enjoy!
To cook more of our recipes, click here.